Q1 : Has anyone experimented with a rear magnet support, in an A7 enclosure, to be used in addition and in conjunction with the standard four front speaker frame mounting bolts?
Q2 : Does this additional rear support "sound better" - as oppossed to when the stock ALTEC speaker is supported and mounted from the front of frame only ?
Q3 : Is there a benign way ( as far as not obstructing airflow and creating minimal turbulences with the cone's back wave ) to execute said rear magnet support?
I have been thinking of using a heavy duty "plumber's pipe strap", looped in a diameter just a little larger than the OD of the 515Bs rear slug, and line the strap, where it supports the driver, with felt. Use a pair of bolts ( one upwards from the plumber's strap holes, and one downwards through the top of the A7 enclosure ) and have each bolt connected by a common threaded coupler, so I can re-torque the support over time, as the plumber's strap stretches. Stop nuts will be used against the threaded coupler.
I've never seen this done anywheres in such a manner.
Q4 : Does anyone out there have direct "doing or listening experience" with a hanging support system that is re-torquable??
If you do a wood brace from the rear cover of the enclosure, ( pressing against the rear of the 515G's frame ), you add lotsa cabinet resonaces into the driver, which should sound bad, and this effect will not occur as prominently IMHO with a hanging support.
The air-disturbance "footprint" of the hanging support I've outlined herein would be minimal.
I am in the planning stages of building a 24 mm ( almost one inch ) Baltic Birch plywood pair of A7 enclosures. No wood has been cut yet, but I have the B.B. wood on hand, waiting.
Conceptually, this rear support design approach could apply to a 604 driver in a MLTL, etc. also.
Experienced doers/listeners, what can you share with me on this idea?
Linkwitz discusses magnet mounting, but fails to address the large footprint that obstructs the cone's rear wave !! So, this as a start...makes the plumber's strap hanging method - suggested to me by Dennis Fraker of Serious Stereo, look better to me !!
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/frontiers_2.htm#N
Thanks friends.
DrLowOhms ..... Jeff Medwin




, but I like to invent. What is the diameter of the 515 magnet cover which is all that the brace would be supporting?




Bookmarks